It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, been working on a couple of comics projects. Anyway here is the first page (in progress) of one of them.
So I probably should have posted about this before now but I’ll be at MECAF (Maine Comic Arts Festival) tomorrow from 10-5pm at the Ocean Gateway in Portland Maine. Super excited for the show it’s become a highlight every spring as this will be my third year there. I’m not debuting any brand new comics but I will have plenty of From the Clouds and Hellbound III to go around. Not to mention a cornucopia of new prints and drawings!
Ship concept from an in progress mini. This is basically the equivalent of the family mini-van.
So I got my self a little brown sketchbook and a couple of white paint markers and have been messing around with them whenever I’m not working on all the other projects I’ve got going. Here are a couple of sketches/potential concepts for a little mini I’ve got on the back-burner.
Can you tell I’ve been looking at a lot of Mobius? So this was done in my sketchbook, took roughly ten hours. It’s pen and inkwash, and this week I thought I’d give you a glimpse into my process or at least a chance to see what these sorts of things look like along the way, so I took a couple of scans at the major transitional points. For the final stage I used a light sumi wash, at least 20 parts water to one part ink. And worked it in many many laters on the page. Really this stage would have been fairly quick, two or three hours of time spent with brush in hand, except for the drying times.The paper used, while a decent 98lb wasn’t really wet media paper and I was conscious not to overload it with too much liquid at one time. I also keep a small hairdryer handy to speed up the process.
And because it’s fun to move back through time whenever possible: The pen. Which this time was a Copic #3. Not really much to say about this stage. This is actually the bulk of the work. Probably took around 6 hours. Lots and lots of little marks.
The pencil: mostly 2H and HB. This stage takes only a couple of hours or so. I did do a couple of thumbnails before starting the pencil. Which I don’t always do, but once I had the idea I knew that the compositional elements needed to be somewhat tight to make this picture work. I had two major elements in the picture (The man and the window) and two is almost always the hardest number to balance visually without resorting to symmetry, and I also wasn’t sure if the horizontal or vertical aspect ratio was to be best.